If you knew SCSI like I knew SCSI...

Keary Suska yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 17 18:35:01 2002

on 5/17/02 5:44 PM, buzzygirl@isd.net purportedly said:

> I can order a 56K external modem from US Robotics. They carry them, and as
> long as I have the right cable, it *should* work. And I did find the 9 pin
> serial port on the back of my 'puter. It was covered up with a piece of
> plastic which reminded me of those kidproof outlet covers. I didn't even
> notice that, let alone try and remove it.

Just to help prevent the same problem, keep in mind that Macs have never
come with a DB9 serial connector (looks like the SCSI, but smaller).
However, Macs come with a monitor port that looks like a DB9. Mac serial is
called mini DIN8--it's a circular connector that looks similar to a an ADB
(mouse/keyboard) connector. Macs (before the B&W) usually come with two of
these, right next to each other, one with a phone handset picture next to it
(for modem), and the other with an image of an ImageWriter printer next to
it (for printer). Doesn't matter which you use, except when in Mac OS
certain OS versions will block the printer port if AppleTalk is on and set
to "serial" or "localtalk".

Don't want a quadruple d'oh ;-)

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.