where is pdisk? or is this what I need?

Paul Cezanne yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 18 20:13:01 2002

I'm running YDL 2.1 on my G4 laptop.  I'm also running OS9 and OS X :-)

I need to get it off the system for now, long story but rest assured I'll be back.  I was a unix programmer long before I was a Macintosh programmer.  (4.2bsd on a Vax, did the install from a tape drive)

Anyway, MacOS is no help in recovering my 2 disk partitions, it wants to initialize the entire disk and this sure isn't what I want to do.

A unix/mac friend of mine, not YDL, suggested running partd or mac-partd, deleting the partitions, and creating Mac ones. I can't FIND partd or mac-partd, I even used "find" to try and find them.  Nada.

Poking around, runnig google searches I came across fdisk and parted.

I can run parted and see the partition map, and I know I can remove a partition but it isn't clear to me how to make them MacOS partitions.

Is parted the right tool for this job and if so, what is the right way to call it?

If it isn't, what is the right tool?  pdisk?  mac-pdisk? And where can I find these.

thanks!

Paul