OpenOffice.org and Abiword

Larry Kollar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 19 13:28:01 2002

Cynthia Croy <clc2@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Has anyone downloaded the Abiword source code? I downloaded it and
> followed the compile/intall intructions on the web site-  except I left
> off the "f" part of the gunzip step. I got an error about it being an
> old option. Otherwise, everything seemed to work OK. However, I can't
> find the new executable. Where did it go? I tried using the Gnome find
> utility, but this wasn't really helpful.

Try /usr/bin/AbiWord -- that's where the 0.9.4 RPM put it. (I installed
the AbiWord package from YDL's install CD then ran apt-get -- it
downloaded & installed the newer version for me.)

> I intalled OpenOffice.org ...
> When I tried to run the application, it came back with "configuration
> file 'home/Cindy/.sversionrc not found'". I'm not sure the filename is
> correct, since the font in the message was hard to read. What do I do to
> fix its complaint?

At a command line, type  touch ~/.sversionrc  and see if that helps.
That creates a blank file called ".sversionrc" in your home directory.

> Second, I would like to upgrade to the latest
> version. Is there a way I can do this without downloading the whole
> thing? 76Mb over a modem download will take an awful long time.

Good luck. I have a dialup connection too. I've considered downloading
it at work (where we have a fat pipe) and bringing it home on a Zip
cartridge. You could always use  ncftp  to download it overnight; when
your call gets dropped you can resume it later on without starting
over.

Hope this helps,

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the