where is pdisk? or is this what I need?

Eric D. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 19 15:57:01 2002

on 19/5/02 10:56, Paul Cezanne at oblique@alum.mit.edu wrote:

>> pdisk ought to do it.  Since you're trying to delete the Linux partition, you
>> probably want to run pdisk from MacOS.  See
>> http://www.cfcl.com/eryk/linux/pdisk/.
>
> Is there another place to download it from?  This web site works (and appears
> to be the "official" site for pdisk), but the ftp link on this page is broken.

Since you're also running OS X you already have pdisk. Just run pdisk as
"sudo pdisk" & you'll be able to nix the Linux partition & then allow OS X
(or 9) to reformat it as HFS or HFS+. Specific instructions and URLs can be
found (a week, perhaps two, ago) here in this forum's recent archives. If
you need them, ask (though, since you're an old-time Unixer I doubt that's
the case ;).

(I'd recommend HFS+... I'm finding that OSX isn't fond of HFS partitions (as
soon as I back up the data stored on my HFS disk it's being wiped to HFS+).
Photoslop 7 for OS X doesn't want to save files to an HFS partition & I
noticed that a few other apps displayed the same disdain for HFS. Unless you
have an explicit need for HFS (e.g. transferring files from Mac to YDL &
back) I would chose HFS+).

Eric.