FB Radeon with Apple Cinema Display

Nick (Spunky Cadaver) yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 22 11:24:01 2002

on boot instead of novideo, boot with the radeon:dfp option instead?
I was able to get it running that way but not into X free...then
again my installation had some problems and I need to eigther order
CDs or download a new images...

>I'm happy to report that FINALLY I can run X-windows on my G4
>dual-500 with ATI Radeon (ADC) card and Apple Cinema Display. It's
>been a looooonnnngggg battle, but I'm finally there!
>
>The only caveat... I can only use 8 bit (palatted) color. Sigh. By
>the way, if anyone is in the same boat and hasn't gotten this
>working yet, e-mail me at willimur@bellatlantic.net and I'd be happy
>to e-mail you my XFree86 configuration file.
>
>I'm trying now to figure out if there's any way to get my coveted
>TrueColor on this system, but there's precious little in terms of
>documentation about how the framebuffer works. Some of the things
>I've had to do...
>
>First, I can only get the system running by booting into
>linux-novideo mode from yaboot. From there I can do a manual
>"startx". All I really had to do was add the screen timings to my
>XF86Config-4 file. But when I try to ask for anything but BitDepth 8
>it says it can't find/initialize the proper fb mode. I've added
>entries for both 57 hz and 60 hz (60 is what I've seen in all notes
>on my Internet searches, but 57hz is what's mentioned if I do a
>"fbset -s" command to see what the current frame buffer is set at.
>
>Next I tried adding some entries in the /etc/fb.modes file for 57
>and 60 hz at 8, 15, 16, and 24 bit depths. I can do an fbset command
>with the 8bit 57hz and 8bit 60hz modes, but I get an ioctl error
>when I try to do the higher bit depths. Additionally, if I try to
>specify the higher bit depths on the fbset command line like 'fbset
>-depth 8 "1600x1024-57"' I'm okay, but if I replace 8 with 16 it
>dies again.
>
>***strange behavior: if I say "fbset -depth f ..." or even "fbset
>-depth q ..." the command seems to execute, whereas having a
>double-digit entry gives the same error. At first I thought that
>having "f" work meant it was taking the values in hex, but I put the
>letter q in there (obviously illegal) and I got no errors. I'm also
>noticing that the screen isn't flickering or showing any other
>visible signs of switching modes, so I'm doubting that this is
>working whatsoever.***
>
>Finally, I tried configuring XFree86 for the Radeon (non-fb) driver
>and running it both under my linux-novideo boot and regular linux
>boot (this gives me a blank screen so I had to telnet in from
>another computer) and both locked up the computer.
>
>Does anyone know enough about the Frame Buffer to give me a hint as
>to how I can proceed? I've even dug through the linux source code
>for the Radeon frame buffer just to make sure that TrueColor was
>supported (it is). At this point I'm at a complete loss as to how to
>set the appropriate frame buffer mode.
>
>Thanks
>
>Murray Todd Willams

01001110011010010110001101101011

"Windows XP not found: (C)heer, (P)arty, (D)ance?"

"Macintosh -- we might not get everything right, but
atleast we knew the century was going to end."

Spunky Cadaver
Nick Shaff
http://shade.cit.cornell.edu
ICQ - 5473298