FB Radeon with Apple Cinema Display

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 22 13:48:01 2002

Nope. To be honest, between this PowerMac G4 and my iMac, I've NEVER had
any variant of Linux-PPC boot with visible text unless I used the
novideo option. Could anyone offer me an explanation as to why that is?
On the iMac I had the option of using novideo, having text at startup
(thus a viable runlevel 3) OR I could not have novideo running and run
an accellerated XFree86 (non-framebuffer) Xwindows but at the cost of
having no text mode.

I don't even know what the novideo option does, but I was under the
impression it forced everything to use the kernel-level frame buffer. Am
I wrong about that?

Murray