ibm java2 sdk really not supported in ydl2.2?

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 23 21:43:01 2002

On Thu May 23 2002, R Shapiro wrote:

> Christian Gross writes:
>  > I cannot get it to work and like you blackdown is simply not an option.  I
>  > stuck with YDL 2.1.
>
> A couple of days ago I upgraded the kernel in my YDL2.1 install to
> 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 and now I just discovered I can't run the IBM java2
> in YDL2.1 either:
>
>   $ /opt/IBMJava2-ppc-13/bin/java -version
>   **Out of memory, exiting**
>
> It ran ok with Yellow Dog's prebuilt 2.4.10-12a kernel.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a kernel version issue.  There were some
major kernel VM changes around the time of 2.4.10.  Note if you don't
require any of the new kernel features of more recent kernels, it
should be possible in theory to run the YDL 2.1 2.4.10-12a kernel
with the YDL 2.2 distribution.  I say in theory because I haven't
actually upgraded to YDL 2.2 yet, but I'm doing the opposite by
running a very recent 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 kernel with YDL 2.1, although
I'm not running the java stuff since I don't have any requirement
for it.

						-Bill