ibm java2 sdk really not supported in ydl2.2?

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 24 07:57:00 2002

Bill Fink writes:
 > Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a kernel version issue.  There were some
 > major kernel VM changes around the time of 2.4.10.  Note if you don't
 > require any of the new kernel features of more recent kernels

The accelerated nvidia driver is certainly nice, and I definitely need
ext3.  I'm not sure which kernel versions were the first to offer
these things.

 > should be possible in theory to run the YDL 2.1 2.4.10-12a kernel
 > with the YDL 2.2 distribution.

I did a brief experiment with that configuration when I was having
trouble installing YDL2.2 on this machine (G4/867).  It didn't go well
and I didn't really pursue it any further.

 > actually upgraded to YDL 2.2 yet, but I'm doing the opposite by
 > running a very recent 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 kernel with YDL 2.1

Right, that's what my system now looks like: YDL2.1 + all the yup
updates, XFree86-4.2.0-6.30d and 2.4.19-pre8-ben0.

Is the later kernels themselves that cause the java problem, or only
specific config options?

--
rshapiro@bbn.com