update from LinuxPPC to YellowDog 2.2

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 26 21:48:01 2002

>Is there a straight forward way to update to YellowDog 2.2 on a LinuxPPC
>system?
>
>I'd prefer to not blow away my existing partition.

It's pretty easy IMHO.

You primarily need to get to glibc2.2. For this see my post:

<http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-user/200203/msg00030.html>

The principle is the same as I originally described there, just use
the rpms in the YDL 2.2 distro instead of kfukui's. Then just upgrade
the rest of the distro as you see fit.

Carefully handle your dependencies, that's the key. Don't
install/upgrade an rpm until you can satisfy all of them (yes it is
possible - sometimes there are unresolvable conflicts and you need to
use --force but I've found these cases to be innocuous for the most
part).

If you want a one-button upgrade, forget it. If you have the time,
you can do it without wiping anything. Good learning experience IMHO.

Stefan Jeglinski