update from LinuxPPC to YellowDog 2.2

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 25 11:54:01 2002

For others who may want to do this: I did the upgrade back with Champion
Server 1.2. I actually updated much of the software piecemeal with RPM,
but eventually I got the CS 1.2 CD and from that point on it was just a
matter of going through the YDL installation process, selecting the right
partitions, NOT formatting anything but swap, and it went fine. As long as
your kernel, modules and libraries work happily together you should be
fine. The differences between YDL 1.2 and LinuxPPC were not so great back
then, but even now they're still the same basic architecture.

They both use EXT2 partitions, and roughly the same system map, so you
don't have to delete or reformat any partitions at all to make the
transition. The drawback to doing it my way is that it leaves tons of old
LinuxPPC crap sitting around on the drive -- I just delete it when I run
across it and otherwise don't worry about it.

The only trick is getting the right kernel into your bootloader, whichever
you use. For me it was easy, using BootX: boot to ramdisk, install YDL
packages, reboot to MacOS, install kernel, boot YDL. YMMV.

- Nathan McQuillen