ibm java2 sdk really not supported in ydl2.2?

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 24 20:04:01 2002

On Fri May 24 2002, R Shapiro wrote:

> Bill Fink writes:
>  > Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a kernel version issue.  There were some
>  > major kernel VM changes around the time of 2.4.10.  Note if you don't
>  > require any of the new kernel features of more recent kernels
>
> The accelerated nvidia driver is certainly nice, and I definitely need
> ext3.  I'm not sure which kernel versions were the first to offer
> these things.

Well, I believe you told me that you got the accelerated "nv" X driver
to work with the YDL 2.1 2.4.10-12a kernel by just using the "novideo"
option, and that kernel does have EXT3 enabled in its .config, but newer
kernels are probably better for such advanced features.

>  > should be possible in theory to run the YDL 2.1 2.4.10-12a kernel
>  > with the YDL 2.2 distribution.
>
> I did a brief experiment with that configuration when I was having
> trouble installing YDL2.2 on this machine (G4/867).  It didn't go well
> and I didn't really pursue it any further.

Well I guess that blows that idea.  :-(

I would have thought that it should work OK.  Maybe you would need
to rebuild the 2.4.10-12a kernel from source.

>  > actually upgraded to YDL 2.2 yet, but I'm doing the opposite by
>  > running a very recent 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 kernel with YDL 2.1
>
> Right, that's what my system now looks like: YDL2.1 + all the yup
> updates, XFree86-4.2.0-6.30d and 2.4.19-pre8-ben0.
>
> Is the later kernels themselves that cause the java problem, or only
> specific config options?

Did you see the post from the guy who said he got the IBM java stuff
to work with the 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 kernel by enabling SMP?  If true,
that sounds like a kernel bug to me, but it might be worth a try.  I
couldn't do that myself since I actually have an SMP machine, and I
like to run MOL which isn't SMP safe yet (plus the X may not even work
on an SMP system with SMP enabled).  BTW I did a quick grep of the
kernel .config and the only memory option I see is CONFIG_HIGHMEM.

						-Bill