Your System is Severely Misconfigured... how?

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 26 07:38:01 2002

Cynthia Croy wrote:

> Jackie -
>
> I've seen this message, too. I don't know what it means either, and I
> don't remember the context where I saw it either. Maybe this has
> something to do with why my printer won't work. When I started up in
> Gnome, I got a message about "Could not look up internet address for
> localhost. This will prevent Gnome from operating correctly." I fixed
> it by putting "localhost" (no quotes) in /etc/hosts.

Later, in my still unsuccessful attempts to get my printer to work, I
added 127.0.0.1 to the file. Also, I don't think you have to use
"localhost" if you want to name you're computer something else. I did it
this way because it's what Gnome suggested and because I was afraid I
might have to do something else to make other programs aware of the
change. I didn't want to introduce the possibility of even more cryptic
messages that I have no idea how to fix.

> I had to create the file. I stopped getting the message in Gnome, but
> I don't remember if I've seen the "severely misconfigured" message
> since I did that. Aside from printing, I'm not having any noticeable
> problems, so I haven't worried about it.
>
> For future reference, you should know that Linux is *always* networked.

It occurred to me sometime during the middle of the night that I might
be overstating things here. If you're installing software on a single
user account - for use only by that user - this might be a situation
where you're not networked. Maybe someone else can correct me if I'm
wrong. I've found at least two situations where I'm "networked" -
printing and installation of software when I want all users to have
access to it - even though I'm the only one using my computer and it's
only connection to anyone else is the modem. So, if I have problems or
wierdnesses in the  future, this will be one of the first places I look.
I hope I didn't make things worse.