Your System is Severely Misconfigured... how?

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 25 21:44:01 2002

Jackie -

I've seen this message, too. I don't know what it means either, and I
don't remember the context where I saw it either. Maybe this has
something to do with why my printer won't work. When I started up in
Gnome, I got a message about "Could not look up internet address for
localhost. This will prevent Gnome from operating correctly." I fixed it
by putting "localhost" (no quotes) in /etc/hosts. I had to create the
file. I stopped getting the message in Gnome, but I don't remember if
I've seen the "severely misconfigured" message since I did that. Aside
from printing, I'm not having any noticeable problems, so I haven't
worried about it.

For future reference, you should know that Linux is *always* networked.
If you have more than one user account i.e. root and another one you use
for normal tasks, it thinks you're networked. It may be different if you
start up in single user mode - runlevel 1 I think - but I'm not sure. So
this means that if you install OpenOffice.org, and you don't want to get
any cryptic messages about configuration files not found, you need to do
a network install. I found this out the hard - and embarrasing - way.

Hope this helps,

Cindy