Eth0 problem... Update

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 28 13:55:01 2002

At 2:35 PM -0400 5/28/02, Daniel J. Costello wrote:
>Someone else just told me to do the same thing.  Everytime after I would
>restart the network I would get this...
>
>"CROND[1262}: (root) CMD ( /sbin/nmmod -as)"
>
>I turned Crond off and it seems to have corrected the problem.  Strange
>right?  I have no clue why this might be killing my connectivity, but for
>now its fixed.  Thanks!!

Turning off crond altogether is a very bad idea.  You need cron on
because it performs some vital system maintenance tasks.

If you think that the cron job responsible for occasionally running
rmmod is responsible for losing ethernet, disable it individually.
Edit the file /etc/cron.d/kmod and comment out the line which starts
with "*/10 * * * *" by putting a # character at the start of the line.

This particular cron job appears to be intended to clean up extra
unused kernel modules, which I guess could conceivably remove your
Ethernet card's driver, though I would have thought that it would be
unable to as the driver should have been in use.

--
Tim Seufert