Stupid process control question

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 29 17:51:01 2002

OK, so here's the scenario: some fool has left a large compile (say, just
for example, rebuilding perl) running, launched from a telnet session at
work. He is now home, where the machine that the compile is running on is
physically located. He would like to see what's going on in the process --
ideally, to pause it and redirect its output to another (local) tty.

Is there any way (without ttysnoop, which I have installed but which won't
grab sessions already initiated) to accomplish this feat?

Thanks for any assistance. I do, of course, have root on the concerned
system.

- Nathan McQuillen