video kernel argument BootX ATI RagePro PCI

Michael Hamlin yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 29 13:49:01 2002

Howdy.

I installed YDL 2.2 and it works on my old-world PowerComputing
machine.  With the monitor connected to the built-in video,
I leave "No Video Driver" unchecked in BootX and
the kernel has no problem establishing the platinumfb device
for video display; console and X both work fine.

In the boot sequence I see the PCI ATI NexusGA video card is
also detected.

Now I connect monitor to the ATI NexusGA PCI video card, and boot
Linux with no other changes.. the display is not established,
even the console is just garbage.  I tried booting with the kernel
argument "video=atyfb"  (without quotes) but had the same result
If I boot with "No Video Driver" checked everything works fine, of course,
just slow!  even slower than the built-in platinumfb device.

How do I get the kernel to use my PCI video card instead of the
built-in video ?

michael

PS the yellow-dog mailing list archive NEEDS a search engine!