printing, Abiword

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 29 18:18:01 2002

Hello everyone -

First question ---

I'm still determined to make my printer work, even though I'm not
getting anywhere. I've found a  number of things in my searching for a
solution which don't look quite right to me. I'll put them all here and
ask anyone for suggestions about what  my problem is and how to fix it.
For those who have not followed my situation, I'm running YDL 2.2 and I
have an Apple Laserwriter Select 310. The problem I'm having is that
when I try to print, I get the message "Cannot open connection to
localhost. Network is unreachable. Make sure LPD server is running." The
things that don't look right:

1) The file /etc/lpd.conf has # in front of every line. From what little
I know of programming, # usually signals a comment and therefore
something the program should ignore.

2) I've seen the following commands in association with helping printing
problems: ntsysv, checkpc, checkpd. I've tried all of them as well as
/sbin/ in front of each, and Linux tells me command not found. I may not
be calling them correctly, but only checkpc has a man entry.

3) I don't think I see "settup up interface lo      [OK]"  or anything
similar at startup.  Some of the messages at the end flash up so quickly
that it might be there . . . is there a way to see a record of this
after startup? I didn't see it in dmesg.

4) /etc/rc3.d, /etc/rc5.d, /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d all have
K60lpd in them. I learned in a post on the YDL list that "K" stands for
kill - I don't think I want lpd killed. I use runlevel 3, but I thought
I would check the runlevel 5 entries just in case it was different.

The things that looked right based on things I've read:

1) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo has ONBOOT=yes set correctly
2) One thing I read said that netstat -a|grep tcp returned LISTEN, and
therefore lpd server was running. On my system it returns "tcp
0        0*:x11        *:*        LISTEN"

Second question ---

Abiword won't run. I have the version (0.7) which came with YDL 2.2, and
the current version compiled from the source code downloaded from their
website. I have three executables:

/usr/lib/AbiSuite/bin/AbiWord_d - which tries to launch 0.7
/usr/local/AbiSuite/bin/AbiWord_d - which tries to launch 1.0.1
/home/Cindy/abiword-1.0.1/abi/src/Linux_2.4.18-0.8a_ppc_GNOME/bin/AbiWord_d
- which tries to lauch 1.0.1
Choosing Abiword from the Gnome applications menu tries to launch 0.7.

I was getting a message about "Abiword was not able to add its fonts to
the X font path. ... you will need to modify the font path manually. See
Unix font problem in FAQ." Then "Abiword could not find any local files
in its font path. Often this is the result of invoking Abiword directly
instead of through its wrapper shell script. ... font path contains the
directories [/usr/share/Abisuite/fonts] (for 0.7)  and
[/home/Cindy/fonts] for the 1.0.1 executables. So, I put a link to
unixfonts/fonts in /home/Cindy (I made the link in nautilus so the rest
of the path was there too). Yesterday, this got me to this message:
"AbiWord could not load the following font or fontset from the X Window
System display server, [-*-Times New
Roman-regular-r-*-*-*-0-*-*-*-*-*-*]". I did what the FAQ recommended.
When I tried /usr/sbin/chkfontpath -a /usr/share/AbiSuite/fonts, it
complained about /usr/share/AbiSuite/fonts. I don't remember what the
message was, though. I tried again using /home/Cindy/fonts instead of
/usr/share/AbiSuite/fonts, and I didn't get any complaints, but I didn't
get any indication it did anything. It didn't solve the problem either.
Today, after shutting down the system, I'm back to the original two
messages.

Does anyone know what's wrong? I'm wondering what the wrapper shell
script is. I'm guessing that when I launce Abiword using the last two
executables, that I'm invoking it directly. When I go through the Gnome
menu, I don't know. How do I go about running Abiword through the
wrapper shell script?

Any suggestions that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Cindy