printing, Abiword

John & Trudy Phillips yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 29 20:14:01 2002

I am sure others will try to help, but here goes:

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Cynthia Croy wrote:

> I get the message "Cannot open connection to localhost. Network is
unreachable. Make sure LPD server is running." The

  make sure that the file /etc/hosts has the line:
	127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain

  make sure that /etc/rc.d/rc5.d has the symbolic link
       lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  13 Apr 17 19:40 S60lpd -> ../init.d/lpd

> 1) The file /etc/lpd.conf has # in front of every line. From what little
> I know of programming, # usually signals a comment and therefore
> something the program should ignore.

       The '#' is a comment, but the commented lines show the default
       values that lpd is using. All of the line in my lpd.conf are
       comments as well, this just mean that the defaults work for
       most of us.

> 2) I've seen the following commands in association with helping printing
> problems: ntsysv, checkpc, checkpd. I've tried all of them as well as
> /sbin/ in front of each, and Linux tells me command not found. I may not
> be calling them correctly, but only checkpc has a man entry.
>
> 3) I don't think I see "settup up interface lo      [OK]"  or anything
> similar at startup.  Some of the messages at the end flash up so quickly

      Type the command:  /sbin/ifconfig | more

> 4) /etc/rc3.d, /etc/rc5.d, /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d all have
> K60lpd in them. I learned in a post on the YDL list that "K" stands for
> kill - I don't think I want lpd killed. I use runlevel 3, but I thought
> I would check the runlevel 5 entries just in case it was different.

        That is definately wrong, but I do not remember resetting all of
	the links in rc2.d, rc3.d, which are all now linked to S60lpd.

	Login as root ( if you use "su -" from a normal user make sure
        that you can write to the display )

> 1) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo has ONBOOT=yes set correctly
> 2) One thing I read said that netstat -a|grep tcp returned LISTEN, and
> therefore lpd server was running. On my system it returns "tcp
> 0        0*:x11        *:*        LISTEN"
>

> Second question ---
>
> Abiword won't run. I have the version (0.7) which came with YDL 2.2, and
> the current version compiled from the source code downloaded from their
> website. I have three executables:
>
> /usr/lib/AbiSuite/bin/AbiWord_d - which tries to launch 0.7
> /usr/local/AbiSuite/bin/AbiWord_d - which tries to launch 1.0.1
> /home/Cindy/abiword-1.0.1/abi/src/Linux_2.4.18-0.8a_ppc_GNOME/bin/AbiWord_d
> - which tries to lauch 1.0.1
> Choosing Abiword from the Gnome applications menu tries to launch 0.7.
>
> I was getting a message about "Abiword was not able to add its fonts to
> the X font path. ... you will need to modify the font path manually. See
> Unix font problem in FAQ." Then "Abiword could not find any local files
> in its font path. Often this is the result of invoking Abiword directly
> instead of through its wrapper shell scrip...

This is more complicated, xfs appears to deal the fonts.dir entry in
an attempt to rebuild it. In general you need to reload abiword from
the RPM package, remove any entry for the abiword font path from
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config, and then add that in the list of fallback
font paths in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.