Changing console resolution?

Patrick Smith yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 1 08:56:01 2002

Romeyn Prescott wrote:
> I just replaced my Apple 15" flat panel with a 17" flat panel that
> doesn't support 640x480 resolution.

Is this the Apple 17"?  I have one, and had to jump through some hoops.

> I can manage a remote X session to run Xconfigurator, but which
> resolution should I choose?  I can't seem to get it to work.

Before fiddling with X, I'd suggest trying to get it to work in text
mode.  The only resolution I've tried is 1280x1024 @ 60Hz.  This is
settable with the 'fbset' command.  I use a boot option:
video=aty128fb:1280x1024@60, but whether you can do this depends on the
video card you have, which determines which kernel driver you should be
using.

> Also, I can't "watch" the Mac boot!  The 17" display never displays
> ANYTHING.

This is the _first_ thing to fix.  I had to boot into MacOS and install
the software that came with the display, then shut down and boot again
into Linux.  I may have had to use another monitor when booting into
MacOS; I don't remember.

A small annoyance I have still:  If I turn off the power at my surge
suppressor, and then later turn it on again, I must wait a minute or so
before powering on the computer.  Otherwise the display stays blank
until I reboot the computer, typing blindly.
--
patsmith@pobox.com