Solved: White Screen of Death on new Dual G4

Jim Steed yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 4 14:09:02 2002

Michael,

Just think, I was exactly in your shoes... about 3 weeks ago.  OF is Open
Firmware.  Hold the option+apple+o+f keys when turning on your machine.  A
search for "Open Firmware" in this list would probably give more information
on it (there are a few Apple technotes I never read); basically it is the
Mac-equivalent of the BIOS.

All,

I downgraded my G4's video card from a AGP Radeon 9000 to a PCI Radeon 7000
in hopes to get X working.  I have connected that to a borrowed Samsung
SyncMaster 700IFT monitor.  Thus far I only am able to run X in 8 bit color.
I noticed when booting that the card doesn't seem to notice my monitor:

   radeonfb: DVI port no monitor connected
   radeonfb: CRT port no monitor connected
   no framebuffer address found for /pci@.....

I've tried several of the "video=radeon..." kernel options mentioned in the
list archives to no noticable change.  I've tried moving the card to
different PCI slots as I've been told that could make a difference; no
noticable change.  Does anyone know why the card wouldn't notice it has a
monitor connected (or am I misreading this error message)?  Does anyone have
a good suggestion for a "video=radeon..." arg for a Radeon 7000 with a VGA
:)

Thanks,
jim