YDL 2.3 - Comm Slot ethernet card PMac 6500/225

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Nov 5 17:45:01 2002

Hello everyone,

I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to get a Comm Slot 10BT ethernet
card to work reliably on a PMac 6500/225 under the default kernel
2.4.19-4a. The card is detected by the tulip and the network does come up
but if I try to transfer anything the connection stalls. I can get it
back down and up with ifdown/ifup and the connection then resumes till I
do any transfer. I can move small files ~ 50 KB without the connection
stalling.

This does not happen under the kernel 2.2.19-1r and everything is just
fine. My understanding is that the 2.2.19 kernel uses the de4x5 driver
instead of tulip.

With some help, I then downloaded the latest source from Ben's tree and
built a 2.4.20-rc1-ben0 kernel. This time I compiled the tulip.o and
de4x5.o drivers as modules.  Loading either module seems to detect the
card and  the connection eth0 does come up. But the network begins to
stall under traffic.

I was wondering if anyone here has had this card working under kernel
2.4.

Thanks - Ram
--
http://fastmail.fm - The professional email service