GUI Editor?

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Nov 6 09:14:01 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Drew Lane wrote:
>I'm really looking for a non console text editor that will run under X
>and KDE.

Gvim, Xemacs, Bluefish, Kate... all of these are GUI type editors that run
under X. My preference is Gvim, but unlike some people's my choice isn't a
religious one. A while back, I had to learn a common *nix editor and only
had the time/brainpower to learn one. I chose vi because it is installed
on just about *every* unix out there. I do know a lot of people who use
emacs and love it just as much, so I would suggest learning either of
these two.

 I go so used to vi/vim/Gvim, that I can't use BBEdit anymore in MacOS (I
keep on getting extra 'dd's 'i's and ':w' peppered everywhere) and I now
use Gvim in MacOS X (but I rarely use MacOS X). I used to think that
BBEdit was the one killer app that would be impossible to replace on any
other OS. Guess I was wrong on that one.

Cheers,

Chris

Note: vi is the old original editor, vim is Vi iMproved, and Gvim is
Graphical Vim.