GUI Editor?

Peter Bagnall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Nov 6 10:48:01 2002

Discussions about editors always run for years, but never mind!

emacs is built on a LISP interpreter, it would be possible, although I
don't know if it's been done, to write an extension that does exactly
what you're suggesting. The concept of macro's is core to emacs.

You might want to do a search to see if some bright spark has already
written it. Of course the fact it's LISP restricts the number of people
who want to write extensions but there are a scary number already out
there.

Emacs does already do some similar things, for example when you type }
it moves the cursor up to the { and back again, just to give a quick
visual hint as to which brace you're closing (assuming you're in C or
Java mode), and the performance of this is excellent, so if you chose
to write your own I would imagine it would perform ok.

This is the point where it's traditional for emacs users to tell people
that what they should really do is learn LISP, which would be a grand
thing to say, but I'd be a complete hypocrite if I did, so I wont (I'll
just imply it!).

But off the shelf emacs doesn't do this to the best of my knowledge,
which means I don't think you can just switch on this feature, you
would have to write it yourself.

Pete