routes are killing me - how to?

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Nov 6 22:30:01 2002

>Listen - you're making this far more complicated than it really is.

You're underestimating how dense I am.

>Install the distro...

YDL 1.2 installed years ago. Now updated to YDL 2.3, with a
kernel.org 2.4.18 kernel.

>Configure networking (assign the IP's & hostname)...

Done years ago, public network, static IPs. Now I have this Linux box
with two NICs: eth1 is 63.220.231.132 and is connected to a physical
router. eth0 is 192.168.0.1 and is connected to another physical
router. Obviously, I want the private network connected to the
private router to see the public network connected to the public
router and vice versa.

>Configure your IPTABLES rules...

I'm sorry, but IMHO finding a *simple* IPABLES how-to is not easy.
Mostly it's ipchains, or iptables on steroids. I've been looking
around for hours now. Yes, I've found 100,000 references to it all.
I've stayed with:

<http://www.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de/lehre/seminare/LinuxSem/downloads/netfilter/iptables-HOWTO.html>

Unfortunately, no where in that document does it just say 'how to
crank it up,' AFAICT. So as best I can tell, this should work:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -A FORWARD

If there is more to it, for my simple pea-brain it is deeply hidden
in page after page of generalities and more difficult examples.

>Then it will do *exactly* what you want it to do.

Nope :-)

By the way, on my YDL installation, there is nothing under 'man
iptables'. Should there be?

Stefan Jeglinski