Installing more packages?

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 8 07:27:01 2002

You have two options for doing this. You may also be able to use
apt-get, but I don't know how to use it, so I can't suggest it.

One option is to use rpm (Redhat package manager). I found it best to
use KDE's package manager - I never did figure out how to make Gnome's
work. The package manager is already set up to use the YDL install disk
as the source for rpm packages - or at least mine was. As I recall,
there is a folder labelled "development" and you select the packages in
there to install. It tells you which dependencies you're missing, if
any, when you click to install - they're also highlighted in blue - like
an html link - in the package description. You have to go through all
the dependencies you don't have before you can install as long as you
don't select the check box which says to install regardless of missing
dependencies.

If you find as I did that rpm wasn't installed when you did your initial
install, you just go through the install process again - skipping the
format step of course. When you get to the screen where you select which
install you want (home office, development etc.) you pick custom install
and select just the packages you want to install. I don't remember where
rpm was, I just looked through folders until I found it. In your case,
it may be a little more difficult to pick what you need since you want a
group of packages. Hopefully, there is a folder labelled "development".
You can then select the packages from there. Or, you may be able to
select the whole folder. I'm doing this from memory, so if you have any
problems let me know and I'll run through the process again.

Good luck!

Cindy