Lingering Issues

John David Garza yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 8 10:31:00 2002

I had the same problems.  One way I got it to work was by playing with
different resolutions and bit depths, I ended up using:

"video=tdfx: 800x600-8@60, noaccel"

but there were several other configurations that seemed to work.  In
BootX, sure the "No Video Driver" option is unchecked, and in the
options dialoge, make sure "Force video settings" is checked.  It
should be quite obvious if it's taking your settings once you start
playiing with different resolutions.

My ydl setup: powermac 8500/180  (604e), voodoo 3 2000 pci

Good luck!

On Sunday, September 22, 2002, at 01:01  PM,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:57:17 -0700
> Subject: Lingering Issues
> From: Mark Walker <walkermh@earthlink.net>
> To: <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>
> Completed my install and found the source of the kernel panics, bad
> DIMM
> module.
> I still have some lingering issues.  Recompiled my kernel,
> vmlinux-2.4.19-4a
> to support among other thing my video card, a Voodoo 3 2000.  I using
> a copy
> of this on my Mac partition (MacDrive: System: Linux Kernels) to use
> as the
> kernel when booting into linux.
> When I used BootX to boot into linux I pass the following arguments:
> "adbmouse=1, 103, 111 video=tdfx: 1024x768-24@60, noaccel" (with out
> the
> quotes).
> Upon booting my video resets during the boot process and the text
> looks like
> pictograms.  Upon closer inspection it appears that the text is split
> in
> half and the bottom half is above the top (as if it was doing some
> sort of
> mirroring per line) and the resolution is something like 600x400 or
> smaller,
> I get that from the size of the mouse cursor in the console.  When in
> gui
> mode everything works great with video acceleration.
> This also occured when I used the stock vmlinux kernel, but when I
> booted
> with vmlinux-2.2 the console would appear fine, but X was very slow.