Install on 8500

Pete Prodoehl yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 8 12:51:01 2002

I am attempting an install YDL 2.3 on a PowerMac 8500/180.

My first question (only 1/2 serious) is, should the install take 10, 20,
or more than 30 attempts? ;)

I originally installed YDL 1.2, and that seemed to work ok.

I then tried 2.3 and got errors of various flavors every time. I was
finally successful doing the most basic of installs, but there were not
enough utilities installed to allow me to do anything.

So I tried again... and again... wiping the existing partitions each
time to clear out any bad ju-ju...

The install *never* completes without some errors (should it?)

When the install *seems* complete (though it gets errors) I reboot and get:

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

I do and get the same results...

Am I missing something? (besides my patience!)

I keep thinking some magic combination will work, but to no avail :\

Pete