Sound Input

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Nov 9 10:42:01 2002

Hi.

At 10:25 -0700 on 2002-11-9 Drew Lane wrote:

 > What program is used for simple sound recording in YDL?

You could use rec (see man rec for details), but:

 > Is sound input (through the built in mic input) supported
 > in Kernel 2.2.x?

I believe it depends on the actual sound card and/or kernel driver.
Indeed, on my iMac running kernel 2.2.18 or something like this sound
input works fine, but on my Tibook (kernel 2.4.x) it does not work at
all--it could be the sound card or the driver one would assume.

If anybody has any idea how to enable sound input (driver available to
download from somewhere perhaps?) please let me know, it would be much
appreciated.  By the way, cat-ing /dev/sndstat gives "PowerMac (AWACS
rev 3) DMA sound driver" on the iMac and "PowerMac Snapper DMA sound
driver rev 016" on the Tibook.  I seem to recall reading on some list
(don't remember which one) that the "snapper" driver does have some
problems, anybody knows any details?  I am totally unfamiliar with the
sound architecture and code, so excuse my naivity.  Oh yeah, as
expected (given that no sound input is available), the "sound queue
status" on the Tibook has entries only for "write."

Thanks in advance,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.