install: "sorry, no cd/dvd drive was found on your computer!"

Jamie McClelland yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 11 21:18:01 2002

Ken Schweigert wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 07:51:51PM -0500, Jamie McClelland wrote:
>
>>Hi all --
>>
>>I have an iMac I purchased new last Spring (700 mghz, version 2.1). The
>>only modification I've made is to increase the amount of RAM (to 640 MB).
>>
>>I dowloaded Yellow Dog 2.3, burned the ISO to a disk and booted from the
>>CD. Yaboot comes up without a hitch.
>>
>>Then, I choose install-gui. First - I don't get the gui install, I get
>>the text install. Not a big deal. However, when I get to the part about
>>choosing the install medium (which only gives one option - DVD/CD), I
>>get the error message "Sorry, no CD/DVD drive was found in your computer."
>>
>>I've tried every install option, including default and custom, the 2.2
>>kernel, text and gui mode and always get the same message.
>>
>>Any ideas??
>

> Try typing in:
> 	install-gui hdb=ide-scsi
>
> Here's a link to a message I posted about my install earlier this summer:
>
> http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2002-July/003255.html
>
> HTH
>
> -ken

Hi Ken - thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but didn't have any
luck. Then, I saw this on the hardware supported page under imac:

*** YDL 2.3 will not install on a G4 iMac with a Combo Drive, but it
will work with other drives.

Unfortunately, I have a Combo drive, so it looks like I'm out of luck...

Jamie