Powerbook Floppy Drive

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 14 20:41:01 2002

Unit is a Wallstreet.
The floppy drive reads fine, but when I try to write to it the strangeness begins.
First, Konquerer or even ls from the command line will show the file as copied, when I know that is not true. The drive makes plenty of noise during reads, but all I hear on writes is on little click, even if the file is large.

Then, umount or eject just freezes, apparently, and either is difficult or impossible to kill. This was happening while I was trying to copy large (1.1MB) files, then I tried one about 200KB. That worked, eventually, but at the rate it was going, it would have taken about 20 minutes to do one of the larger ones.

I suspect that it is a write buffer issue, since it does write the files if you leave it alone for long enough. Are there some settings somewhere that effect this behaviour, like maybe priority or a 'force write' timeout?

The VST Zip drive writes (and reads) perfectly well and fast in the same socket.

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
When there's no plan, there's one less thing to go wrong.
    -Joe Redington Sr.
-----