boot failure (and MOL)

Tanger yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 14 21:09:01 2002

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 01:08  PM, Stephen Reiach wrote:

>> How do I get around the screen that blocks me from booting the YDL
>> partition?  I have tried to use the rescue feature on the extras cd but
>> don't get passed a screen asking me to slow down something.  I am stuck
>> at the moment not being able to boot and unable to rescue the data I
>> have on this partition.
>
> Do you have any more detail about where exactly this is failing? Is
> this after the kernel loads? Do you ever get to a prompt? Try using the
> Install CD and using the cd-linux boot option. And pass it
> 'root=/dev/hdxx' x being the drive and partition of your '/' installed
> system. Then you should be able to fix yaboot and/or your kernel. [On a
> side note, when compiling a new kernel always leave your current
> working kernel as a boot option untill your *sure* your new one works
> 100%] I'd revert back to the stock for right now. You should be able to
> apt-get it if you dont have it.

Hello Steve,
I very much appreciate you helping me with these problems I ran into.
Thanks a lot!  I started to work through your answers and before I
continue with trying to get MOL running I just wanted to report that I
got back into the partition the way you suggested.  The only difference
was that the cd-linux boot option is on the extras cd.  There was
actually nothing wrong with yaboot.config and I had kept the 2.4.19-4a
kernel so that I could fairly simply switch back to it.  Before I tried
to switch back I tried to get the 2.4.19 kernel to run by running
xconfig again but afterwards I ran into problems when the configuration
sequence requested other next steps than make dep, which is the one I
did when I had configured the kernel for the first time.  I didn't want
to mess things up more than I had already so that I left everything
2.4.19 and switched back to 2.4.19-4a.
Now on to trying to get MOL running.  I'll follow your advice and start
from the src.rpms of mol and mol-kmods.
I'll keep you posted.
Stefan