boot failure (and MOL)

Stephen Reiach yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 14 14:05:01 2002

> How do I get around the screen that blocks me from booting the YDL
> partition?  I have tried to use the rescue feature on the extras cd but
> don't get passed a screen asking me to slow down something.  I am stuck
> at the moment not being able to boot and unable to rescue the data I
> have on this partition.

Do you have any more detail about where exactly this is failing? Is this after the kernel loads? Do you ever get to a prompt? Try using the Install CD and using the cd-linux boot option. And pass it 'root=/dev/hdxx' x being the drive and partition of your '/' installed system. Then you should be able to fix yaboot and/or your kernel. [On a side note, when compiling a new kernel always leave your current working kernel as a boot option untill your *sure* your new one works 100%] I'd revert back to the stock for right now. You should be able to apt-get it if you dont have it.

> Then, how will I make the kernel do what I would like to have from this
> partition: MOL, Airport, being able to use the FireWire port, connect
> external speakers, and use the Wacom tablet?  All these things I have
> tried over and over just to get stuck somewhere.

Once you have a working kernel MOL and Airport shouldn't be a problem. BTW What kind of Apple is this? There is an Airport howto on YDL.

> Just as an example for one of the problems that I ran into:  Also the
> other poster asks the user to recompile the src rpm for the mol kmod.
> However, whenever I tried the code given (rpm -rebuild [mol-kmods*}), I
> got a message that the files or directories didn't exist.  That was
> particularly ridiculous]

Some output would help. IIRC, it might be the kernel headers, they need to be installed in order to recompile mol-kmods.

> At this point I am even wondering if I can solve these problems on my
> own or with the help of user groups given that I need solutions fast.
> Does anybody know about a service where one can get tech support for
> hire over the phone (I am living in Alaska.)?

Im sure you can solve most of these yourself with the right information. Come by the IRC channel #yellowdog on freenode.net it's easier for a person to help when they can get the details.  Also YDL sells installation support how much and by what restrictions im not sure.

Steve R.
IRC: azealsr