boot failure (and MOL)

Tanger yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 14 12:19:01 2002

Dear Steve,

Thanks for your advice.  It is entirely possible that the problems with
installing other software on the 2.4.19-4a kernel were not due to the
kernel but to my lack of experience.  My problem(s) now are these:

How do I get around the screen that blocks me from booting the YDL
partition?  I have tried to use the rescue feature on the extras cd but
don't get passed a screen asking me to slow down something.  I am stuck
at the moment not being able to boot and unable to rescue the data I
have on this partition.

Then, how do I get a working kernel to run?

Then, how will I make the kernel do what I would like to have from this
partition: MOL, Airport, being able to use the FireWire port, connect
external speakers, and use the Wacom tablet?  All these things I have
tried over and over just to get stuck somewhere.

Just as an example for one of the problems that I ran into:  Also the
other poster asks the user to recompile the src rpm for the mol kmod.
However, whenever I tried the code given (rpm -rebuild [mol-kmods*}), I
got a message that the files or directories didn't exist.  That was
particularly ridiculous because I had cd-ed all the way to the directory
in which the files were and through the ls-command I could see them
right in front of me.  (I have posted this problem earlier without
getting an answer.)

At this point I am even wondering if I can solve these problems on my
own or with the help of user groups given that I need solutions fast.
Does anybody know about a service where one can get tech support for
hire over the phone (I am living in Alaska.)?

Slightly nervous,

Stefan