Getting apt-get

Stephen Reiach yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 15 12:47:01 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:21:56 -0500
Bondtrails <bondtrails@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have had lousy luck installing YDL 2.3, but as luck would have it,
> YDL 2.0 installed rather nicely (but no apt-get).
>
>  From the YDL site, if I do an rpm -ivh ftp://<ydl's ftp site for
> apt-get> I should be able to install apt-get, but when I try doing this
> I get a message saying that some libraries, etc. are missing.
>
> How can I find out all the dependencies to apt-get, and how cat I get
> them?
>
> --Bondster!!

It's funney as often as the question is asked. No one ever seems to write down *exactly* what files and order they're installed in.  What I can tell you is that it can be done. And since you have the 2.3 CD is should be quick. IIRC rpm need to be upgraded.  Which needs something else.. something else.. something else. What i would recomend is to install as much as possible at one time. Installing packages *with* there codependencies. ie rpm -Uvh rpm rpm-devel glibc glibc-devel x y y-devel' It makes it easier as rpm will give you better responses if you're missing something.  All the required packages should be on your 2.3 CD. You may want to search this ML if anyone actually wrote down the exact course of action. [ps write it down and post it!]

Steve R.