scsi, ydl and 2.4 kernels

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Nov 20 00:07:01 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Barry wrote:
>I have a G4-450 with two internal scsi harddrives and an ATTO pci card
>(and no IDE drive.)  This setup has given me many headaches.

 Hi Barry,

 What sort of problems have you been having? Practically all of my G4s are
SCSI only (including my home machine) and I haven't had any problems
whatsoever with the installer. I suspect the problem might be with your
SCSI card. Which one do you have? All of mine are the ExpressPCIUL2Ds
Photos of some them here:

http://www.mcgill.ca/secretaboutbox/mcgill_servers.jpg

>Before YDL, I've tried several prebuilt 2.4 kernels and never succeeded.
>I also tried a few times to compile my own, but I couldn't get the
>configuration right -- it appears to have problems reading the scsi
>disks. I also want high memory support in it.

 Yeah, it is a bit of a pain that the default kernel doesn't have himem
support. If you want, I could send you my kernel config (I simply turned
on HIMEM, removed AppleTalk and other such non-sense and added USB Mass
Storage support for my camera.). Lemme know if you want me to email it to
you.

>It seems the hfs bootloader partition must be exactly 10mb. Is that
>true?

 No.

> And is it visible in the Mac OS9 (I have 10.2 on a small partition, but
>no 9).

 I don't think it should be, but I don't use MacOS any more on my home
machine or my work machines. I just upgraded the HD on my iBook (talk
about PITA!! - http://open.mcgill.ca/ibook_hd_change.jpg), and I installed
MacOS, OS X and YDL on it for fun. I've only booted into MacOS for a few
moments, but I didn't see any Linux partitions.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh