new ibook 2002 install failure

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 18 15:11:01 2002

Just received the new 800MHz ibook, 14". I guess that's the same as
the "2002 dual USB," but technically those were the earlier ones this
year.

YDL 2.3 installer will only run in the install-text-safe mode,
everything proceeds nicely until I get that well-known and now
INFAMOUS YellowDog result: "Errors running Transaction Set! Please
correct this manually." Happens for all types of install (base, home
office, custom, etc)

I have no idea if this is due to the normal set of YDL install
stupidities involving this message, or of there is something special
about the brand new ibooks that causes problems.

OK, now that i have that rant outta my system, I think the consensus
has been in the past that I an running out of drive space. Since I'm
trying to install on a 5Gig partition, I know that's not the issue,
but I have read in the archives that the installer may not be smart
enough to install on the correct partition. How do I make sure of
this? In mount points I have set the 5Gig partition as /, but it is
the -last- partition on the disk. How can I make sure the installer
really is trying to install there and not my swap partition, or one
of the even smaller Mac partitions scattered around? (yes I'm keeping
OSX).

I haven't installed YDL in forever, what is the magic key combo on
the ibook that will drop me into the installer logging shell where I
can see what's happening? And how to check in the safe-text installer
that YDL is really trying to install on /? Any help from our
illustrious YDL workers?

Stefan Jeglinski