new ibook 2002 install failure

Owen Stampflee yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 18 15:37:01 2002

Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> YDL 2.3 installer will only run in the install-text-safe mode,
> everything proceeds nicely until I get that well-known and now
> INFAMOUS YellowDog result: "Errors running Transaction Set! Please
> correct this manually." Happens for all types of install (base, home
> office, custom, etc)
Where does it do it? During installation of RPMs? Configuration?

> I have no idea if this is due to the normal set of YDL install
> stupidities involving this message, or of there is something special
> about the brand new ibooks that causes problems.
New hardware always have problems and IIRC, current X stuffs wont work
on the new Radeon 7500 based iBooks although some fixes exist.

I'd also check to make sure you have good media. If the checksums fail
redownload(if you dont have the ISO still or if it the ISO has bad
checksums) and reburn.

> OK, now that i have that rant outta my system, I think the consensus
> has been in the past that I an running out of drive space. Since I'm
> trying to install on a 5Gig partition, I know that's not the issue,
> but I have read in the archives that the installer may not be smart
> enough to install on the correct partition. How do I make sure of
> this? In mount points I have set the 5Gig partition as /, but it is
> the -last- partition on the disk. How can I make sure the installer
> really is trying to install there and not my swap partition, or one
> of the even smaller Mac partitions scattered around? (yes I'm keeping
> OSX).
The installer isnt _that_ bad.

> I haven't installed YDL in forever, what is the magic key combo on
> the ibook that will drop me into the installer logging shell where I
> can see what's happening? And how to check in the safe-text installer
> that YDL is really trying to install on /? Any help from our
> illustrious YDL workers?

You can switch between virtual terminals on iBooks using Ctrl+Alt+Fn+F?.
I cant remember which vterm dmesg is run on but that'll get you started.

My best guess is that you have bad media, I've seen similar problems and
which a fresh burn didnt exhibit.

Owen