New Studio 17 LCD / old YDL installation / not enough colors

Merrill Aldrich yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 22 19:07:01 2002

Hi -

I have YDL running on a Cube; my aging Applevision 17 just croaked, and I've replaced it with a new Studio 17 LCD (SOO worth it FWIW).

I had YDL running happily on the old monitor, but switching to the new one is a real struggle. I have gotten this far:

1. Machine will boot by using "linux-novideo" at Yaboot command line

2. Used dexter.py to configure X

3. X will not accept more than 8bit color; Dexter.py appears not to provide
any other working options. X will run in 8bit mode, though.

4. The two posts on the support web page related to this are not completely helpful because a) I don't have xconfigurator, and b) the command "/usr/sbin/ybin" does not do anything without options or parameters on my system, and I cannot find out what those options should be.

Soooo, I am happy to be at least up and running, but I'd really like full color if that's possible, and to boot with video.

Anyone have an XF86Config4 that works with ATI rage 128 and Studio 17 LCD that I could steal? Or other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Merrill Aldrich