static playing audioCDs YDL2.3 Tibook2002

A R yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 2 07:56:01 2002

Dear Group,
I'd like to know the current status and perhaps
pointers to workarounds for playing audio CDs within
YDL2.3.

Let me say in advance:  thanks for any constructive
help you can provide.  If I have missed something
I should have found in documentation or the web,
I'll be happy to find out about it.

1. kscd and gcd do not work for me.  I hear silence.
2. I then ran xmms and played an audioCD successfully
   once.  No volume control via xmms or keyboard keys,
   but this was clearly
   progress.  (If I ever get back to this point, I
   suppose I will try kmixer or other tricks to
control
   volume level.)
3. I then did two things, one of which messed me up:
   a) I followed the instructions in the URL
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/sound.shtml
   b) I turned on the xmms equalizer, played with it
      and turned it off
4. After this, I hear nothing but static from the
   audioCD.  I have retraced my steps and tried to
undo
   3a) and 3b), but I cannot get back to hearing
music.
   I only hear white noise static from audioCDs.
5. I can still do cdda2wav and hear wav's through xmms
   just fine.  This shows the CD is being read etc.
   Not really a feasible long-term workaround!

I have read all the postings from April 2002
concerning
endianness, and I think I understand them.  However,
I think that the YDL 2.3 version of xmms has this
problem fixed.  Is there another culprit that I should
root out?  I ran apt-get last night, and I confirmed
that the YDL 2.3 versions of the xmms packages are
still
the most up to date.

Thanks again,
Andrew