HELP Re-compiled new kernel won't boot ...

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 2 08:11:00 2002

Hi Bernie,

     Try hitting tab as the install CD boots to get the yaboot prompt
then try

     cd-linux root=/dev/hdaX

or sdaX    where X is your / partition.

That worked on YDL 2.1 and probably still does.   Then you can
change yaboot.conf and run ybin.   I always (now)  make the
"safe" option and point it at a copy of the original kernel before
changing the symlink.
( But obviously I've been there and done that! )

Here's a sample yaboot.conf.

# ybin options
boot=/dev/sda8
macos=/dev/sda6
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
delay=10
defaultos=linux
enablecdboot

# yaboot options
init-message="\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux\n\n"
timeout=50
default=linux-novideo
partition=7

# yaboot images