static playing audioCDs YDL2.3 Tibook2002

Andrew Hodel yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 2 14:19:01 2002

I have already been through the exact same problem, just with mp3's, I ne=
ver=20
tried an audio cd.  What I had to do to fix it was this, every time I wan=
ted=20
to use xmms, I would kill the artsd process and start up esd, then just=20
select the esd plugin for xmms.  For the apple volume controls, the probl=
em I=20
had was it would start out the volume at somewhere areound 80 percent, wh=
at I=20
would do was just to turn the volume all the way down to about 10 percent=
=20
before playing any sounds, and then the volume controls worked normally, =
as=20
long as you didn't go above 50 percent or so, I suppose this is a bug wit=
h=20
too much amplification going to the speakers which would make them do ver=
y=20
funny things.  This was all way to much of a hassle for me so what I did =
in=20
the end was to just use gnome, it uses OSS so all of my main problems wen=
t=20
away, but I still must turn the apple volume controls down to about 10=20
percent to get them to work correctly, this is on each reboot.  This work=
ed=20
for me because the only kde proggy I used was kmail, and now I just use k=
mail=20
in gnome.  My suggesstion would be to switch.