HELP Re-compiled new kernel won't boot ...

Bernard mentink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 2 20:15:01 2002

  Hi Stefan,

Success! :-) I found I had to boot the kernel this way:

1. On startup, at the Yaboot prompt (boot:) typed help.
2. Typed /pcixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:14,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.19-4a root=/dev/hda14

The "xxxxx" in the above is the OpenFirmware drive path (displayed by
help), the 14 is my root partition, then
the path to my old stable kernel, then the root path for the kernel.

After typing all that, I booted on my old kernel, phew ..... :-[

Many thanks for your folks suggestions, I'm still not sure why the other
method did not work.

Stefan, just got your reply. Seems you have a shorter way of achieving
the same thing, I will try this too(for my own knowledge).

I also re-compiled the kernel, after reading in the distribution .config
to xconfig (and then puting in my mods),
that worked fine, and my kernel runs as before. And yes, I did do the
right thing with yaboot.conf this time. :-[ :-[

Cheers,
Bernie