HELP Re-compiled new kernel won't boot ...

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 2 21:19:01 2002

At 14:11 +1200 on 2002-10-3 Bernard mentink wrote:

 > I also re-compiled the kernel, after reading in the distribution .config
 > to xconfig (and then puting in my mods),
 > that worked fine, and my kernel runs as before. And yes, I did do the
 > right thing with yaboot.conf this time. :-[ :-[

Of course, should you not have made the yaboot.conf changes, your new
kernel would not have worked--Murphy's laws, you know.  So look at the
bright side: these yaboot.conf changes were not for naught, they
provided instead a way to make sure that the new kernel will be
compiled successfully--also one of the Murphy's laws. :-)

On the other hand, I used to keep the whole zoo of old kernels that I
tried at some time, but today I cleaned them up having left only the
current one (which is also a pre-release)--according to the rule I
just stated, I look forward to seeing the whole thing crashing, though
I certainly hope it won't. ;-) But then your experience just motivates
me to put at least the stock YDL kernel back, just to be on the safe
side.

Cheers,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.