Disappearing GNOME desktop icons

Bill Dhalle yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 3 13:43:01 2002

I'm running YDL 2.2 on a G4/400 (AGP) w/ 768MB of RAM. Linux is running on
it's own 8GB partition on one of the two drives in the machine. I hadn't
booted in YDL in almost three weeks. Booted up, started GNOME and the
default desktop icons (user home, trash, start here) that were there during
my previous Linux session had disappeared. The directories for these items
are still there as I can get to them via CLI, and they show up in the GNOME
file browser, but they don't show on the desktop anymore. I can send files
to the trash and empty the trash via mouse/menu commands. Have tried
dragging the directories with missing icons to the desktop from the file
browser, but get a "circle and slash-you can't do that" icon on the cursor.

Anyone have ideas on how to get the missing icons back?
Thanks in advance,
--=20
Bill Dhalle
SUBLEVEL 3 Design Works/SUBLEVEL 3 MacLink
design@sublevel3.com =80 http://www.sublevel3.com
Apple Consultants Network  =80 =A0Apple Product Professional
-A member of the Graphic Artists Guild-