Video Issue

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Oct 5 17:25:01 2002

> I just installed YDL, using what I think is the latest install disk, on
> my 7600.  Had to use the 2.2 kernel, as the 2.4 kept not installing
> right, or crashing during the install.

Interesting: I had no problems with the 2.4.10 kernel that came with
YDL 2.1 and have since upgraded to 2.4.16 and now 2.4.18 with no
problems.  This is with a 7600/200.  I had been thinking of upgrading
to YDL 2.3.

> Everything seems OK except I have crummy color.  I think that it is at
> best 16 bit.  Graphics look pixelated and very late 80's.  I've played
> with
> force video on and off, no video driver on and off (both BootX options,)
> and the vmode and vmvideo commands, with no luck.  Every time I fire up
> Mozilla, it's the same jaggy graphics.

How much video memory do you have?  I have 4 MB of VRAM and set my
7600 up to use 24 bit graphics at 1024x768.  It may be slow video, but
I mostly just use 2D graphics.  I find the colours fine, there seems
to be a subtle difference between MacOS and Linux, but that is
probably due to the monitor gamma setting.  I have the force video
setting on.

--
Stephen Harker                                          sjh@ph.adfa.edu.au
School of Physics               Baloney Baffles brains: Eric Frank Russell