USB ZIP drive "not a block device" error

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 7 08:23:01 2002

Hi.

At 19:47 +1300 on 2002-10-7 Bernard mentink wrote:

 > It looks allright to me, also the output from *dmesg*:

Yep.  Looks good to me too!

 > usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
 > scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
 >   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: 02.U
 >   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
 > Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
 > SCSI device sda: 196608 512-byte hdwr sectors (101 MB)

This one looks precisely as I would expect.  So, according to all of
these, you seem to have /dev/sda ready to be used.  Have you tried to
mount it?  For instance, put a zip into the drive and do (as root)

    mount -t xx /dev/sda /mnt/cdrom

where xx is the type of the filesystem you have on the zip--also try
auto for xx, it might work (and feel free to change the mount point
from /mnt/cdrom to anything you like).

I have read reports that you should specify /dev/sda4 instead of
/dev/sda but the latter looks to be the one for your system.

After all--and despite the errors--the thing appears to work, so you
should find the zip when you change to /mnt/cdrom (or whatever mount
point you chose above).  Does it?

Let me know if it works and I will try to make sense of the error
messages (and perhaps offer suggestions on how to get rid of
them :-) ).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.