Adaptec 2940UW vs Atto ExpressPCI UL2D

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 10 07:57:01 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>The Atto card is a pull with Apple ROMs and I figure my chances with OSX
>are better, but I don't want to compromise or break Linux either.
>
>If in Linux they both work fine, are there any performance
>differences that anyone knows about?

 FWIW, all of our G4s have the ATTO ExpressPCI UL2D in them. None of these
machines run OS X though, they are simply servers.
(http://www.mcgill.ca/secretaboutbox/mcgill_servers.jpg). I found out the
hard way that the next version (ExpressPCI UL3D) didn't work in Linux -
after ordering 5 of them. Luckily we were able to return 4 of them.

 I'm not sure how much longer our central servers will be G4s though. We
seem to have outgrown the architecture - we're running out of CPU power
(we're getting a lot more traffic, and most of our pages are dynamic).
Also, we were looking at upgrading to Xserve's, but $6,600 CND for a Dual
1.2GHz G4, is hard to justify when we can get an IBM Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz for
a couple hundred $ *less*. Both rackmount, both with DDR RAM.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh