Adaptec 2940UW vs Atto ExpressPCI UL2D

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 10 14:32:05 2002

On Thursday, October 10, 2002, at 06:57  AM, Christopher Murtagh wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>> The Atto card is a pull with Apple ROMs and I figure my chances with
>> OSX
>> are better, but I don't want to compromise or break Linux either.
>>
>> If in Linux they both work fine, are there any performance
>> differences that anyone knows about?
>
>  FWIW, all of our G4s have the ATTO ExpressPCI UL2D in them. None of
> these
> machines run OS X though, they are simply servers.
> (http://www.mcgill.ca/secretaboutbox/mcgill_servers.jpg). I found out
> the
> hard way that the next version (ExpressPCI UL3D) didn't work in Linux -
> after ordering 5 of them. Luckily we were able to return 4 of them.

Really?  I have a UL3S in one of my Macs (the "single channel" version,
which it turns out is the same thing as the dual channel UL3D, just
with fewer SCSI connectors).  It seems to work OK under Linux -- at
least enough to scan the bus for drives and read their partition
tables.  I can't say that I've done anything more than that, because
that machine primarily boots X and none of its SCSI drives have a Linux
partition to torture test.  So I'm curious to know more about your
troubles... i.e. was it totally dead to the point where it couldn't
even scan the SCSI bus successfully, or did it sorta work but have lots
of problems.