Adaptec 2940UW vs Atto ExpressPCI UL2D

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 10 15:49:01 2002

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Tim Seufert wrote:
>Really?  I have a UL3S in one of my Macs (the "single channel" version,
>which it turns out is the same thing as the dual channel UL3D, just with
>fewer SCSI connectors).  It seems to work OK under Linux -- at least
>enough to scan the bus for drives and read their partition tables.  I
>can't say that I've done anything more than that, because that machine
>primarily boots X and none of its SCSI drives have a Linux partition to
>torture test.  So I'm curious to know more about your troubles... i.e.
>was it totally dead to the point where it couldn't even scan the SCSI
>bus successfully, or did it sorta work but have lots of problems.

 We couldn't boot from the scsi drives at all, I don't think it could see
them either (but that was a while ago). This was a while ago though (YDL
1.2.1), and we haven't had the need to try again. This was back in the day
when I had to boot into open firmware and set the boot-device manually
/pci@f2000000/foo/bar/ATTOExpressPCIPro/etc.... no fun.

 I did take the one UL3D card that we opened (and couldn't return) and
stick it in a Dell box running Mandrake - similar problems, but even more
headache. I've never had good experiences with Intel machines and SCSI. I
hope by IBM experiences won't be this way.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh