Downgrade video card for Dual G4 1.25 GHz?

Jim Steed yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 10 09:45:01 2002

Hello,

Recently we purchased a Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25 GHz with a Radeon 9000
Pro/64MB video card and a 17" Apple ADC/LCD Studio Display monitor (IBM
Deskstar 120GB ATA drive, 1GB RAM, Super drive, Ultra SCSI PCI Card, etc.).
After installing YDL 2.3, I am unable to boot Mac OS-X or YDL 2.3 from the
Yaboot menu.  After selecting 'l' or 'x', the words "Loading second stage
bootstrap" appear briefly and then the screen clears to a white/grey color
and freezes.  (Note:  I can boot OS-X after holding OPTION down during a
reboot through the Mac bootloader GUI.)

Are these symptoms likely due to the 9000 Pro video card not being
supported?  If so, I would like to buy an older card to get this to work,
but am unsure which card to downgrade to.  I have read in the archives that
at one point the Radeon 8500 AGP card was not supported; is this the case in
YDL 2.3?  Is the Radeon 7000 PCI card supported in YDL 2.3?  Are there any
other cards available at an online store that would work?

Does anyone else have experience getting YDL 2.3 on a Dual 1.25 GHz with
this video card, or in downgrading the video card to be able to boot YDL 2.3
with a machine like this one?

Thanks very much for any help or advice,

jim steed